What is intuitive eating?
Intuitive Eating© (IE) is a non-diet approach to healthy eating. This approach focuses on listening to how foods make you feel physically and emotionally, rather following a diet based on rules and restrictions.
Who should implement intuitive eating?
Everyone can benefit from intuitive eating, especially people with gastrointestinal disorders who want a more relaxed or less restrictive approach towards eating. Those with disordered eating patterns may find it particularly helpful:
- Spending too much time thinking about food
- Skipping meals
- Restricting foods and/or food groups that are not medically recommended
- Following restrictive diets for controlling weight or body shape
- Feelings of loss of control around food
- Feelings of guilt or shame after eating certain foods
- Feelings of fear or anxiety after eating certain foods